Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Good, Bad, and the Ugly


I'm not going to say that getting PCS'd to Puerto Rico has been easy. In fact there has been nothing easy about it. In fact..it's been down right difficult and emotionally draining. I never wanted to blog about the bad and ugly. Just wanted to cover it up with the good. Well here goes....Kaiden starts Kindergarten next Tuesday, August 16th. An early start compared to the states standards. Not to mention he is going full day and his bus picks him up at 6:30am. Is he ready for this? I don't know..I hope so. Am I? No way! I offer to drive him to school but he insists he wants to ride the bus. So I will let him and see how it goes. I have never heard of a 5 year olds getting on a bus a 6:30am. If we were in New Jersey his bus would pick him up at 9am. Frustrating. Number 2..we are still living..LIVING..in a hotel. I'm thankful that we have a roof over our heads and this is a selfish complaint compared to 3rd world country standards. So this I'm ashamed I'm even complaining about. Is it too much to ask though that we can move into our house soon? Can't they have them ready for the families that are PCS'ing to Puerto Rico instead of keeping them in hotels for months? My kids are emotionally drained. Keegan claims, "this is not Puerto Rico." Kaid crys to move back to New Jersey or Michigan. It has been hard. Our homestudy was done. Finalized and complete in the state of New Jersey. We were almost over the first large hump in our adoption. Now we are back to almost square one. We need a homestudy update. We have a meeting with a social worker here in Puerto Rico on August 14th. I hope we are in our house before then. Number 3 thing that has been emotionally draining. We left friends that were like family to us. And an awesome loving church family. How will we find those things here in Puerto Rico? I don't know. I don't know at all. I'm sick of being stressed. I'm sick of not knowing Spanish. I'm sick of being in a hotel. It feels like a long drawn out vacation since we've been here, and we're not going home. Not for three years. I hope someday I figure out the reason we were moved here. Oh wait..my husband signed the Coast Guard's dotted line...maybe there is a greater reason then that though that I can't see right now. I pray I see it soon. So there you go..the bad and the ugly. Also my brother is in Afhganistan right now with the marines in a bad area. Please keep my brother Spencer Kubiak in your prayers. There has been some guys in his unit injured and lost. Please keep his company and their families in your prayers. Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Britt!!! I have been so out of touch with you all (and the rest of the world) for a couple months. I can't believe you moved to costa rica!!! I'm soo sorry to hear of the troubles, but it will get better girlie! Chin up!! You have so much light in you and your family that you will concur costa rica in no time!!! What about coastie families? Is there anyone there that can help get you connected to some Americana's so you can feel some comfort of home?
    I hope you get into a house soon and the homestudy update goes smoothly! It sounds terribly difficult to live in a hotel with three young, fun, crazy boys!
    I really believe you'll make it through this. Find something to lean on... I remember you used to do photography... might be time to start picking it back up so you can have a little sanity! You probably have some beautiful scenery! Find something that will help center you (other than God that is)... and see if you can find a new spiritual home down there! Good luck sweetie!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brittany, you are a strong, runner. Think of this as a marathon that will bring you closer to the prizes that God has for you. Each day is a mile you will never have to run again and the finish line is sweet victory! God has been training you and preparing you for this since the day you were born and He will run beside you the whole distance. I love you sweet girl! Aunt Kel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know, you are not alone!! At least I have my build in tour guide/translator!!

    I didn't realize you were living in a hotel!! I'd have invited you over just to sit in a real house and let the kids play! They can actually STILL do that if you want! We have the toys all unpacked. I can try to get you some (good) directions to our house from the CG housing area. We are leaving for Disney on Sunday, but maybe tomorrow (Thurs) you guys can stop by ?

    I know the reasoning behind moving here was different from ours, but it is has been an adjustment for us too. The kids get upset b/c people talk to them in Spanish and they don't understand. So then people assume they are rude, which is not the case. I try to follow along in conversations, but i'm sure I often have this clueless stare on my face more often than not!

    I've yet to try ordering something from the drive thru! They talk even faster on there than in person!

    We love going to the church at my In-laws house, but it also brings its share of concerns. It is all in Spanish, the music is very traditional, the kids are in the service with us (bored to tears b/c they can't understand). I REALLY miss our old church, but I also know that God will use this time to shape our hearts with His word, even in Spanish.

    Hope that once you are more settled in to your own house, things will be better! I can't imagine living out of boxes/suitcases this long with 3 young boys!! It was hard enough just for the month or so we did it!

    Hope to meet up with you soon!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete